The Iveagh Trust - Sous Chef (Temporary)
The Iveagh Trust
Sous Chef - Temporary
The Iveagh Hostel is the largest and oldest independent Hostel in Ireland, currently accommodating 195 men in single rooms. Established in 1905, its purpose has remained constant – to give safe haven to men, who need it, respecting their autonomy and privacy.
While the Hostel’s primary purpose is to provide clean and safe accommodation as well as to meet other basic requirements (food, access to laundry facilities etc.), Hostel staff, including Care Assistants, can have a vital role in supporting more vulnerable residents and be a personal support for residents, if in need of advice or when in difficulty.
Due to the current public health crisis, we are looking for a chef to start as soon as possible to help us to continue to provide meals for the duration of this crisis.
Position: Sous Chef (Temporary)
Location: Bride Road, Dublin 8
Reporting to: Hostel Manager
Hours:The working week is 39 hours, including every second weekend, with a start time of 8:00am and end time of 5pm*.
*These hours are indicative and you may from time to time be required to work overtime depending on the requirements of your work and at the discretion of your immediate Manager.
Skills / Experience Essential:
- At least 5 years’ experience in catering role(s), serving meals for over 100 people.
- Completed core catering and cooking qualifications, commensurate with the role. Basic HACCP (Sous Chef only).
Principal tasks & responsibilities:
- To provide meals for up to 180 residents at the times required.
- To ensure the kitchen and dining area are always kept clean and safe, as per Environmental Health standards and other relevant Health & Safety standards, such as fire prevention and use of PPE and cleaning products.
- To keep all records in a safe place and provide to the Hostel Manager / Environmental Health office, as per HACCP regulations.
This list is indicative and not exhaustive.
Attitude /Knowledge :
- A capacity to show empathy towards vulnerable adults and some challenging behaviours.
- A capacity to engage with a range of people of different backgrounds, ethnicities and needs.
A can-do attitude and willingness to do whatever is required to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all in the Hostel.
- Flexibility and a willingness to be part of a team, with a capacity to exercise leadership.
- A commitment to the importance of privacy (your own and others)
Honesty and integrity and a capacity to work without supervision.
As part of the Hostel staff team, to support other staff in relation to resident issues, if and when they arise.
Applications to :
Applications must include the job reference code: HGC001
Please send an up to date CV along with cover letter outlining
your suitability for the post by email to:
Or, by post to:
The Iveagh Trust
Bull Alley Street
Dublin D08 R7DX.
The Iveagh Trust is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Replies only to selected interviewees.
While the successful candidate will need to start as soon as
possible, they will need to apply for garda vetting and
continuation in the role will depend on the result